Research has shown that more than 70 million Americans are not able to get the sleep they need. A variety of factors contribute to lack of sleep - from a noisy environment to a medical disorder. Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder that affects about 20 million Americans. This disorder, if untreated, can increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, obesity, diabetes and depression. Unfortunately majority of people with sleep apnea remain undiagnosed.
The TMC Center for Sleep Health can help. Our experienced staff, which includes board-certified sleep medicine physicians, can help determine specifically what is causing your sleep problem, and the exact way to fix it.
How do I know if I should be tested for a sleep disorder?
If you or a loved one has one of the following signs, it may indicate a sleep disorder and should be evaluated by a physician:
• Habitual loud snoring, especially when associated with pauses or snorting noises.
• Frequent brief choking, awakening with gasping or shortness of breath.
• Awakening with a headache.
• Persistent sleepiness when awake or episodes of falling asleep unintentionally.
• Persistent fatigue.
• Persistent difficulty falling or staying asleep.
• An urge to keep moving the legs at bedtime or a rhythmic twitching of the legs after falling asleep.
• Unusual behaviors during sleep such as sleepwalking.
Your sleep study will be conducted in a spacious, private laboratory—a customized guestroom at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center, 2345 McGee Street, in Kansas City. This state-of-the-art facility is one of many hotel-based sleep labs in the United States. Adapted to monitor sleeping patterns, the laboratory creates a natural, comfortable setting to help you sleep normally.
The laboratory includes a monitoring system for detecting brain waves and your breathing pattern. The facilities are designed with the patient in mind for maximum simplicity, privacy and comfort, with the top-quality care you can expect from Truman Medical Centers. At the Sheraton, you'll find:
• Free valet parking
• Exceptional surroundings
• A short walk to the elevator
• Personalized attention from your own sleep technologist
Planning your overnight sleep study:
• Please arrive at the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center by 7:30 p.m., valet-park your car and take the elevator to the fifth floor.
• Eat dinner before arriving. Do not drink beverages containing caffeine or alcohol.
• Bring your nighttime medications and comfortable sleepwear.
• Remove makeup, artificial nails or nail polish (clear is okay). Your hair should be free of hair care products, weaves or braids. The Technologist needs to be able to access points of your scalp.
• Bring all of your current medications and plan to take them as usual, unless your doctor says otherwise.
• You may relax and watch television on the evening of your study, but it is important to stay awake until your scheduled bedtime (usually 9:00 to 10:00 p.m.)
• You may shower or bathe in your room on the morning after your sleep study.
• For the courtesy of all our patients, we ask that you contact us 48 hours in advance if you must cancel. Patients who cancel more than once must get a new referral from their physician.
Setting your appointment
Initial appointments are scheduled in the Truman Medical Centers Sleep Health Center. Most patients undergoing sleep studies will spend a night in the Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center sleep laboratory. Patients also may be referred to appropriate specialists in neurology, pulmonology, pediatrics, otolaryngology, psychiatry or other TMC Departments.
TMC Center For Sleep Health
Sleep Lab Scheduling:
Sleep Lab Questions: